Welcome to My MissAdventures, a spin-off of my personal blog which you can find at miss-monologue.livejournal.com.

My MissAdventures is where you'll find wonderful, descriptive tales of my travels, shopping finds, food trips, and anything under the sun that brightens my day.

So sit back, relax, and let me do the talking.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Fleur de Lys C-cret

After our very fulfilling (full - filling, get it?) dinner at Bagoong Club (read about it here), we still wanted to have some dessert. I drove over to the other side of Morato near ABS-CBN where I knew some dessert places were. I remembered Fleur de Lys which my mom once told me about. It was located in the Belo Building so we headed there. For a very small shop, Fleur de Lys had a lot of cakes, cookies and pastries on display. We asked for their best seller and they said it was “Best Kept C-cret” which was a chiffon cake with 3 creams: chocolate, caramel and yema custard. I wanted to get another cake by Nerisse said we won’t be able to finish 2 cakes anymore so we decided to share.


nerisse has a c-cret!

We went up to find seats and discovered that they served other food besides cakes! Finally, our dessert came. Of course we had to take photos first! With the slice, you could already see the different layers of cake and cream it had. The yellow on top we assumed, was the yema, the bottom brown part was obviously chocolate, and we assumed the middle white part was caramel cream. There were also slivers of almonds on the iced side. At first we were amused by the cake and the sweet yema on top. It was quite a balanced cake, with a very sweet topper, the other elements of the cake, including the cake itself, were very mild and complemented the taste. Since it was creamy, it was actually like eating vanilla or butterscotch ice cream cake (not frozen though). But given the sweetness of the yema custard, we began to rethink our assumptions. With the thought of yema custard, I would assume it to be like the filling of Brazo de Mercedes (another favorite of mine) which tastes creamier than sweet. This was more gooey sweet, like butterscotch. I proposed the yellow was probably caramel and the white, the yema. So we again tried to taste each part of the cake separately. 


Honestly, I did not fall in love with this cake. Or become infatuated with it. I fell in love with the cakes from Calea in Bacolod, but the spark wasn’t present in this case. Don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t so disappointed because it was a unique cake, a first for me, and it didn’t taste bad. But this won’t be in my list. I probably would order a different cake next time and being the chocolate lover that I am, try their chocolate-based cakes. They have a chocolate mousse cake with Tequila Rose mousse or Bailey’s mousse called Joaquin and Fleur de Lys. I’ll most likely have that since I enjoy yummy mousse cakes.

Nerisse and I were so full we kind of forgot our worries for a moment. It was a good food night last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment